Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - M9 create output from transform of linked image into current file
mikedufty

868 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 02:45

To avoid blowing out file sizes, I thought it would be nice to save my source image in one M9 file, then link that from a new file to do transforms.

This seems to work quite well, except that when I choose new table as the output, the new table is created in the linked datasource rather than in my new file.

Is there a way to direct the output to the current file instead?

If it matters I am modifying the tile copy transform as per the NDVI example in the documentation.

Dimitri

6,276 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 02:57

This seems to work quite well, except that when I choose new table as the output, the new table is created in the linked datasource rather than in my new file.

The transform template query will take as its context whatever is the context for the source of the data it is using. Suppose you're using a four channel image that's stored within a linked data source. If you want to move the context into the main part of the project (not within the linked data source), create a map in the main part of the project and drop the image into that map.

Launch the transform with the focus on the map, and choose the image from within the map. That should do the trick in terms of moving the context to where the map is, the local part of the project.

Another way to do the same thing I guess would be to copy the image within the data source and paste to make a copy of the image in the local part of the project. That new image will still take its data from the tiles table that is within the data source, but the image will be in the local part of the project. Work with that image and the context for the transform, and thus whatever it creates for you by way of new components, will be in the local part of the project too.

mikedufty

868 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 04:26

Excellent, I just tried it with a map, and it worked perfectly as you said. Makes sense now I know but didn't occur to me previously.

I can see it working that way by default without thinking about it a lot of the time, I did actually make a map in the my initial project just AFTER doing the transform.

Is it in the documentation somewhere? I did make an attempt to look, but wasn't sure where, and its just abstract enough a concept to be difficult to search for.

Dimitri

6,276 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 05:28

Is it in the documentation somewhere?

I recall reading about it somewhere, just can't remember which topic(s) it was. Looking around just now, there are topics like this one, which refer to similar things, but that's not the one I'm thinking of.

It should be easier to find. I've sent in a note suggesting something be added to the Project Pane and various Transform topics, about how to steer context out of data sources and into the local .map.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.