Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Looking at vertical cross-section of 3d points
rk
621 post(s)
#06-Jan-21 17:11

Until Manifold obtains 3d viewing, there is simple way to look at vertical cross-sections of 3d points.

Either draw 1 line on [Section] drawing and open (refresh Ctrl-F5) [VerticalSection Drawing] or make a selection of Points and open [lookEW_Selection Drawing] or [lookNS_Selection Drawing].

The image explains it best.

Attachments:
m9_Vertical_Section.mxb
Vertical_Section.jpg

rk
621 post(s)
#06-Jan-21 17:16

Small mistake in mxb.

In queries [lookEW_Selection] and [lookNS_Selection] replace [474658_2012] with [Points]

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#07-Jan-21 07:40

Wow! That's brilliant!

LandSystems73 post(s)
#08-Jan-21 03:19

I'll echo that! What a great demonstration of the utility of M9 SQL and very useful to boot. Many thanks for sharing.

radiowebst47 post(s)
#20-Feb-21 01:29

I see what you did here and I want to do the same thing. Can you explain this in a dummies version of what you did please? For instance what code or SQL functions in your file do you use to get this cross section view? I have built up a set of LIDAR points from the LAZ files of the area of interest to me. After that I get lost viewing your file. I understand very little about building my own SQL to do something like this so pardon the newbie or rookie questions.

This looks amazing, I just need to understand how to get to what you have done. I don't need to go so far as to do the multiple views, I just want to be able to draw the line, set heights on both ends and run one cross section version for that line.

Thanks so much for sharing your work.

rk
621 post(s)
#22-Feb-21 11:42

I attached a minimal version of the project.

Assuming you have a table of points.

In query [VerticalSection] you only need to change one or two values.

---- Change this to the table where points are

VALUE @pointz TABLE = [your-table-name];

If your points are in Lat/Lon projection use some small value like 0.00001or transform your points

---- Change the section width (in coord sys units)

VALUE @sectionWidth FLOAT64 = 1;

Put your-points and [Section] drawing on the same Map.

Delete all lines in [Section]. Draw 1 line in [Section]

Open drawing [VerticalSection Drawing]. If it is already open then refresh (Ctrl+F5) and Zoom To Fit (Ctrl+click on layer tab).

Attachments:
m9_Vertical_Section_min.mxb

rk
621 post(s)
#22-Feb-21 12:00

addition: If you want to copy [Section] and [VerticalSection] into your own project then also copy the Code folder.

radiowebst47 post(s)
#22-Feb-21 17:02

Thank you. I was able to get this to work well for my needs. A couple of questions, is there a way to export the profile/vertical records to a csv file?

Also, in my case I am trying to show a path between two points that are at a certain height and I am trying to check if there is line of sight. Any idea how to show that path and points and have a vertical and horizontal scale shown on the vertical drawing?

Again great work and thank you.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.