Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Radian for Manifold 8?
Michael Hammill11 post(s)
#13-Jan-21 16:32

Hi all,

I have Manifold 8 and want to add data from ARC GIS rest servers but when I try I get a message saying I need Radian. I understand that it is effectively included in M9 and have been searching the products page for a Radian download for M8 to no avail. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mike Hammill

antoniocarlos

567 post(s)
#13-Jan-21 17:29

Here is are links to the Free Viewer and the videos.

http://www.manifold.net/updates/download_viewer.shtml

http://www.manifold.net/info/videos_gallery.shtml

There is much to digest if you are an M8 user. Manifold 9 is a different beast than M8 that requires RTFM and patience. Keep an eye on this forum. It is the best resource to help you navigate M9 as it changes and makes improvemts.

I think there are instructions to connect M8 to an M9 database ( a .map file) using ODBC where maybe it will allow linkage to ARC Rest Services but I am not sure if it is possible and have not tried it.

Cheers

How soon?

#14-Jan-21 11:54

Thank you. I think that I may have bought the wrong product. The documentation in Viewer put me off - it seemed a complete mess. Things I was searching for just weren't there.

I used Manifold 7 over 10 years ago for geological mapping using SPOT imagery. It was fine and I could export .shp to the client. I particularly liked line attributes azimuth and length - perfect for airstrips. What I am looking for now is a street map of North Wales UK and a hi-res satellite image base. The aim is to create a map of crags for my climbing club. I am looking on the net but can't find anything - I don't mind paying a small amount either.

I would be grateful if you can suggest anywhere to get this data.

Best wishes,

Mike

Dimitri

6,358 post(s)
#14-Jan-21 08:21

have been searching the products page for a Radian download for M8 to no avail.

There has never been a Radian download for 8. I guess the 8 message was intended to indicate you needed a different product, and not a plug in for 8.

Some background:

Manifold's Radian database is the parallel DBMS technology on which all new generation Manifold GIS products are built. When Radian first became available, it was packaged within a product called Radian Studio that was aimed primarily at a data-centric approach to slicing and dicing geospatial data. When 9 came out, it replaced Radian Studio, since 9 supports both data-centric and more classic gis-centric approaches.

See the discussion in the 9 FAQ about how 9 is different from Radian Studio.

add data from ARC GIS rest servers

Use Release 9 for that. There's even an example project on the downloads page with a pre-packaged collection of ArcGIS servers.

For connections via ODBC from 8 into a 9 project, so you can leverage the much greater connectivity of 9, see the various Interoperability example topics.

#14-Jan-21 11:56

Hi Dimitri,

Thank you for replying. I think that I may have bought the wrong product. The documentation in Viewer put me off - it seemed a complete mess. Things I was searching for just weren't there.

I used Manifold 7 over 10 years ago for geological mapping using SPOT imagery. It was fine and I could export .shp to the client. I particularly liked line attributes azimuth and length - perfect for airstrips. What I am looking for now is a street map of North Wales UK and a hi-res satellite image base. I am retired and the aim is to create a map of crags for my climbing club. I am looking on the net but can't find anything - I don't mind paying a small amount either.

I would be grateful if you can suggest anywhere to get this data.

Best wishes,

Mike

Dimitri

6,358 post(s)
#14-Jan-21 12:29

The documentation in Viewer put me off - it seemed a complete mess. Things I was searching for just weren't there.

You have to read the documentation in the recommended order, not skipping the basics. Then it comes together very quickly.

If you don't learn the basics in the beginning, then you don't know what to search for. Trying to learn the system by reasoning by analogy to some different product and hopping around searching for terms is guaranteed to cause confusion and frustration, both of which are easily avoided by learning the basics first.

That 9 delivers vast capability is a good thing: it gives you value for your money. That also means there's more to get your head around in the beginning.

A suggested plan for learning 9 / Viewer:

Start here.

Begin with Read Me First. Read the topics in order (you can skip the huge Changes and Additions topic) up through the end of the Basics chapter. Take a break from straight reading from time to time to read topics in the Examples chapter, beginning (of course) with the Introductory Examples section. Watch the videos, especially the tutorial and other introductory videos.

That sounds like a huge amount of reading, but it actually goes very quickly. Spend a couple of days on serious reading and you'll learn how to do marvelous things with low effort.

What I am looking for now is a street map of North Wales UK and a hi-res satellite image base.

Depending on what you want those for, the easiest way to get those is to use image servers. There are endless example topics (and videos) that use them. Don't look on the net for those. Read the manual in the recommended order and you won't be able to avoid learning about the ones that are already built into 9.

If you don't mind a rant: it always baffles me that people will spend many hours and days searching the web looking for shortcuts to knowledge, but they won't spend a few hours learning a new, sophisticated application in an orderly way by reading the manual in the recommended order and watching videos. Don't be that guy! :-)

#14-Jan-21 13:38

Thanks Dimitri,

Looks like I should have got 9 from the beginning!

Best wishes,

Mike

tonyw
626 post(s)
#14-Jan-21 18:03

[Deleted. Realized you were primarily looking for data, not software]

dchall8
787 post(s)
#14-Jan-21 21:33

Before you buy 9 you can try it out with Manifold 9 Viewer download. You can do everything except save the file for reopening.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.