Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - about pdf editor
lionel

691 post(s)
#16-Jan-21 13:00

I do some test ( no gis work) by printing doc document to pdf ( Microsoft and wondershare , not foxit) and since i have a pdf editor ( serif XpagePlus 9 = XPP) i do some test with XPP .

=====================

i test wonderShare printer ( free) and then editor ( demo) . The demo version add watermark and i see I can easely remove the watermark with XpagePlus9 ! Does it mean than watermark should be use with only a pdf protected option to block any edit mode !

==================

When open this pdf in XPP, XPP alert us that font ll be change because i think font are not put inside pdf so need to use external OS font . The rendering change a lot for text and is ugly ! Does manifold create pdf with embedding font ?

=======================

I think i read on the forum that some people want an option to export their work from manifold GIS as layers in pdf . As i can see when edit pdf generate by Wondershare Editor: the watermark is in the top layer , but I have no option ( TODO) to view work only on a selected layer in XPP . Is there pdf editor that let us edit pdf in layer mode ? Is there some pdf software editor that do that ?

Regard's

most of the question can be answser by testing myselft ( todo) .. post only to share some testing done on pdf. I ll reply to myself in the future in this post !!

manifold forum search : pdf printer

Attachments:
covid_pdf_fontMissing.png
covid_watermakEasyRemove.png

union

lionel

691 post(s)
#16-Jan-21 13:21

Yes XPP support layer like photoshop . I never use it and easy to find , i ll test affinity Designer .

it really nice that XPP has an printer icon for each layer !

Attachments:
covid_XPP9_supportLayer.png
covid_XPP9_WatermarkLayer.png

union

lionel

691 post(s)
#16-Jan-21 14:47

I create a word document that use 2 fonts calibri and Helvetica. i print this document to Microsoft PDF printing to have a PDF and i open it in Adobe reader to see File properties ( font) . The name of font is not explicit shown by Adobe !! . I open this pdf inside XPP ( pdf editor) and see there is no alert about font except a strange alert "Publication use characters which are not supported by their font". But when I click inside character of different word , I see Calibri is still here/ use but Helvetica is change to Arial .

Does this behaviour is also occur on other PDF editor ?

Attachments:
covid_XPP_2fonts.png
pdf_microsoftDriver_adobePropertiesFont.png
word_2fontuse.png
word_exportPDF.png

union

dchall8
808 post(s)
#17-Jan-21 04:52

Does this behaviour is also occur on other PDF editor ?

In my experience, yes. It has to do with licensing of the various fonts. For example, for 30 years Apple licensed the Helvetica font for their operating system and printer drivers, while Microsoft licensed Ariel, a Helvetica look-alike font. I have not messed with fonts since the late 80s, but I believe there used to be a way to force a font to stay the same by embedding it into the print driver for the software you're using.

lionel

691 post(s)
#17-Jan-21 20:25

I test some printer to see the number of parameter we can change in printer properties .

I wanted to test Foxit PDF Printer and discover that the last version 10 since 2020 don't include the Virtual Foxit PDF Printer. a post on a forum is about this ! The foxit Editor call Phantom (600MB) has many plug in to support application bundle with Microsoft office ( word ,excel , Visio ..) .Install PHantom will install the Foxit PDF Driver under the name "Foxit PhantomPDF PRinter" I also test Flexi PDF from SoftMaker( find in manifold Dcumentation , you need to register to download the software ) , Microsoft PDF ( install by default on Microsoft OS) and Wondershare PDF Element .The Phantom PDFprinter has many options that not follow the way ( Microsoft) that others PDF printer( see FlexiPDF.png) .

FlexiPDF has additionnal setting tab that in reality contain nothing!!

Attachments:
FlexiPDF.png
FlexiPDF_additionalSetting_2021-01-17_21-27-22.png
PDFdriver_printerOption.png
PhantomDriverProperties.png

union

lionel

691 post(s)
#17-Jan-21 20:32

here all the options that phantom PDF has for the virtual printer

Really ask myself is some of this option is really usefull in daily use for GIS professional .

Attachments:
Foxit_Font_2021-01-17_21-09-14.png
Foxit_general_2021-01-17_21-09-00.png
Foxit_headerFooter_2021-01-17_21-10-23.png
Foxit_images_2021-01-17_21-09-28.png
Foxit_PDFStandert_2021-01-17_21-09-57.png
Foxit_security_2021-01-17_21-10-34.png
Foxit_watermark_2021-01-17_21-10-11.png

union

dchall8
808 post(s)
#18-Jan-21 18:26

I looked through all the settings to see if there was a setting for a layered PDF. Layered PDF files made me some money back in 2008 when I first started with Manifold. I used it in conjunction with Adobe Acrobat Pro to reset the default open layers and pass on to clients who did not want everyone seeing her hidden layers of information.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.